Fv

A fix for the sub zero second issue with timelapse in Lightroom 5.0 has been fixed. You must use a 29.97fps setting inside the template file, other settings like 30fps will cause flickering.

Here’s such a preset. For video export, you just use the standard Lightroom video 720p and 1080p video presets. Please note this means you only have the internal 29.97 fps playback, with no options for 24fps etc.

Download Slideshow Template.

To install, unzip, then in Slideshow, right click on an User Templates in the Template Broweser.¬†Choose ‘Import’. Find the unzipped file, and press ‘Import’.*

Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 20.30.01

Here’s a video created with this.

Timelapse in LR 5.2

*Please note this is for Slideshow. THIS IS NOT A DEVELOP PRESET.

Update

Mark has asked for a tutorial in the comments. I’ll probably do an expanded version, but in the meantime:

You install the template in Slideshow as above. Then

1. Create a collection of the time-lapse photos.
  2. Go to Slideshow.
  3. Select the template from the Template Browser.
  4. Click Export Video at the bottom of the Left Panel.
  5. Choose what resolution you want 720, 1080 etc in Video Preset.
  6. Choose a filename and path then click Export.

25 Comments

• September 12, 2014 Miltos says:

Hello there. I have some issues with exporting my Video. I’ve tried anything but I still keep getting this error “An uknown error has occured” everytime I try to export it. It starts rendering and when it is close to 40% it just stops. Even though it says “Task completed” in the top left corner… Any ideas? Thank you.

• September 12, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

If I got this, my first reaction would be to restart Lightroom. Then if that didn’t work, I’d delete the preferences.

• September 8, 2014 Roey says:

Thank you so much for this. Works perfectly.

• August 26, 2014 Mike says:

Is there any way to modify the FPS? Or tweak the template file prior to import to give it a new FPS setting?

• August 26, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

No. It’s tied to the only FPS that Lightroom will export in. It flickers otherwise. You had more options back in Lightroom 4 with the Lightroom 4 Presets.

• July 31, 2014 Canyon Mike says:

The download nearly destroyed my system. Shame on you.

• July 31, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

A 3kb zip of a template nearly destroyed your system? I doubt that very much.

• July 20, 2014 Sergeii Studio says:

Man, thank you for this preset ! Work like hell and its very easy to make hd timelapse, thanks !

• July 13, 2014 Luke says:

Hey,

I have used your template to create a video seamlessly.

However, on the second attempt (different day, different images) I get what seems to be a rendering problem between images on the video.

With the new images I have cropped and played with the exposure and tone. I have tried exporting the images first and using the edited set, yet the rendering problem still exists on the final video.

What I mean by rendering problem is… image you are scrolling through a lot of photos quickly, after the first few slides being completely in focus and crisp, the rest are not crisp at all and “blurred”. This is what I am seeing in the final video.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for your hard work and help,
    Luke

• July 13, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

The template only makes setting not available directly in the UI. I suspect you need to to to Library, then generate 1:1 previews for all the sequence images and try again.

• May 20, 2014 sabit says:

i want 24 – 30 fps timelaps

• May 20, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

You and me both, but Lightroom’s video engine doesn’t support it.

• May 10, 2014 Paul Moortgat says:

Do the Timelapse presets work for Lightroom 5 on a Mac? I still need to but Lightroom then.

• July 10, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

As the post says.. Yep.

• May 3, 2014 Lea Morgan says:

Hi! Any suggestions on how to get my computer to allow me to use this plugin? It keeps telling me that I have to use one approved by the apple app store.
    What can I do to be able to use this plugin?
    Thank you!

• February 24, 2014 Lenore says:

Hi already had this preset in lightroom but now probably after upgrading to creative cloud when I select any of the times slideshow automatically selects zoom to fit and crops the images, when I uncheck the zoom option it automatically unchecks the time preset.
    Thanks

• February 25, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

Hi Lenore, the settings are the setting that work to create a slideshow that can be exported to video as a Timelapse. Template is provided as is for that reason.

• February 19, 2014 jake says:

I give up. bought lr5 to do timelapse with no luck. I have tried every ones advice and still no luck.

• February 19, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

Well this works. That video wouldn’t be there if it didn’t. Has to be 5.2 or later and only with 29.97 export.

• July 10, 2014 MARK says:

You should do a post with a beginners guide to making a timelapse. There isn’t enough information here for a beginner like me – too much is presumed.

• July 11, 2014 seanmcfoto says:

Hi Mark,
          There’s so little to it. You install the template in Slideshow. Create a collection of the time-lapse photos, then go to Slideshow. Select the template from the Template Browser and click Export Video at the bottom of the Left Panel. Choose what resolution you want 720, 1080 etc in Video Preset, then name and Export.

• November 25, 2013 joseph says:

thank you for your contribution, I found your website from a youtube video after searching for how to make a timelapse with lightroom.

I’m using lightroom 5.2 and have downloaded and unzipped your present. When I right click on the import button and search to the file to grab the present in the unzipped folder, I keep getting an error. Saying “the file was the wrong type of present”

Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?

thanks – Joseph

• November 27, 2013 seanmcfoto says:

This is most likely because you’re adding it to Develop, not Slideshow.

• October 27, 2013 Sandy Williams says:

Sean, when i try to import slideshow templates into Lightroom 5 i get error message “Error importing LR5 Timelapse.Irtemplate”.
    The preset file was the wrong type of preset. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Sandy

• October 27, 2013 Sandy Williams says:

Never mind, figured it out. I was trying to import under develop rather than Slideshow.
      Thanks,